Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Telecommuting

Would you cut your salary to save gas?

Gas_2 More than a third of tech workers recently surveyed by job site Dice.com said they would take a small salary cut to be able to telecommute and save gas.  Only 7% already telecommute. 

I would have expected the number of existing telecommuters to be a little higher, given that tech companies make the tools (laptops, cellphones, remote access software) that make working from home possible.  At least some tech companies have embraced telecommuting.  At Sun Microsystems, 17,000 employees work remotely for two days a week.

More companies may want to start thinking about offering work from home programs as gas prices rise.  Here's the breakdown from Dice:

With gas prices soaring, would you accept slightly less pay to telecommute full-time?

-- 37%: Yes, I'd cut my salary by 10% or less.
-- 36%: No way, same work = same pay.
-- 7%: I already telecommute.
-- 19%: I would take any job; I'm unemployed.

Would you take a pay cut to work from home?  Tell us by posting a comment below.

By Michelle Kessler
Photo: Scott Olson, Getty Images

No comments: